[Asterisk-Users] Open G.729A codec

Dan dtoma at fx.ro
Wed Aug 13 00:40:43 MST 2003

Hi Steve

>Steve Underwood wrote:
>.... 06.10 isn't that great a codec,
> though. I don't think it is used very much on the GSM networks these
> days. Most of the time they use the enhanced full rate (EFR) or half
> rate codecs.

What do you mean by "isn't a great codec?
There is any major advantage of the G.729 codec over GSM with Asterisk
(except the full hardware support by main players)? Which is more scalable
using the same hardware?
I have done some tests between ATA and 7960, both using G.729 (Asterisk
pass-through ) and the quality is (in my opinion) the same as when using
ATA(G.711)>GSM---IAX---GSM>7960(G.711).

Thanks,
Dan