[Asterisk-Users] list proposal

Andy Hester cgadmin at conserogroup.com
Sun Aug 10 21:05:33 MST 2003

There will always be some of this, and I agree that most people won't search
for an answer if they can have someone else hand it to them.  However, the
idea is to make it such that they don't have to search for the answer among
thousands of other posts, but rather just read the instructions.  And like
you said, it needs to be done anyway, so why not try to make the
documentation as complete as possible and maybe post a large warning, don't
ask questions of the list if you haven't read the documentation!  And place
this documentation or a link to it before the info on how to sign up for the
mailing lists.  I imagine many new comers never even see the google search
box down the page.

	It doesn't really bother me that much when those questions are posted mind
you, but I just think it is a really bad idea to use a mailing list as the
repository for documentation.  I know that documentation exists, but it is
so incomplete that someone is always telling documentation seekers to
"search the list".  We should try to move the documentation away from the
list and into a seperate place.  As new or unaswered questions come up, the
documentation can be easily updated if it is collaborative.

	Anyway, I don't mind splitting the lists as I will just subscribe to those
as well.  It might work out well as I had also suggested that the
documentation be split out by technology also.

Sincerely,
Andy Hester
Consero