[Asterisk-Users] Packet8 New Area Codes and Rate Centers

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Apr 25 09:54:55 MST 2003

[This message posted for the benefit of the Packet8 people on the
list; I know you're out there.]

This is good news, and I'm always pleased to see competition in the
marketplace, especially in more area codes.  However, Packet8 will
continue to rule itself out if they don't allow users to use their
own hardware or an Asterisk server; it's simply a no-starter to have
them force me into their hardware box.  Plugging the system into an
X100P might work, but again is a no-starter - why am I doing another
two steps of analog-digital conversion when I could just talk
directly to their SIP proxy/gateway?  Kludge.  I'll go with providers
that offer me VOIP service, not POTtedVOIP service.  Remember when
the Bell System in the USA forced everyone to buy phone termination
equipment from them?  Don't put us back in those dark days.

JT