[Asterisk-Users] Rackmount PC hardware suggestions

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Apr 23 19:14:13 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 20:47, Jayson Vantuyl wrote:
> > > I've always used SuperMicro equipment for high-end servers.  I
> > > haven't used on for Asterisk (yet), but they should work
> > > swimmingly.  Some of the boards also include the lights-out
> > > feature you want.
> > >
> > > SuperMicro also sell 1U, 2U, and 4U chassis in varying
> > > configurations.
> > >
> > > www.supermicro.com
> > > -wade
> > I've got to second Wade, supermicro are excellent!
> > Service/Quality/Price is very good!
>
> Consider this a 3rd.  Definitely SuperMicro (or as I call them Super
> JAPAN--since their logo looked suspiciously like the Japanese flag).

Add me as a 4th for the Super Micros.

> 5.  None of the SuperMicro stuff I've seen has riser-boards to support
> horizontally mounted PCI cards.  This means that if you're less-than-4U,
> you need a half-height card (there's a name for this standard that
> escaped me).  Digium X400Ps are FULL-HEIGHT, so you will need to be wary
> of this or you may build an Asterisk server only to find that the T1
> card everything revolves around doesn't fit!

I have 2 1U systems that came with a single PCI riser card. In fact I
will be deploying one of them with a T400P card in just under a month.

We chose the 1u super micros after we saw a presentation at our local
LUG where some people from Vanderbilt university came and demonstrated a
cluster using them.