[Asterisk-Users] Rackmount PC hardware suggestions

Jayson Vantuyl kagato at souja.net
Wed Apr 23 18:47:04 MST 2003

> > I've always used SuperMicro equipment for high-end servers.  I
> > haven't used on for Asterisk (yet), but they should work
> > swimmingly.  Some of the boards also include the lights-out
> > feature you want.
> >
> > SuperMicro also sell 1U, 2U, and 4U chassis in varying
> > configurations.
> >
> > www.supermicro.com
> > -wade
> I've got to second Wade, supermicro are excellent!
> Service/Quality/Price is very good!

Consider this a 3rd.  Definitely SuperMicro (or as I call them Super
JAPAN--since their logo looked suspiciously like the Japanese flag).

At any rate, we just put together a 2U with a SuperMicro for a Linux
server.  Dual Xeon, six-drive RAID enclosure, dual gigabit LAN, it's all
there and actually a lot more affordable than the alternatives (Intel,
for instance).

There are a few points:

1.  Some of the bigger new boards need PAIRED DDR DIMMs!  Make sure to
check and see if you need to order 2 DIMMs.  This can be a royal PITA.

2.  Don't mix-and-match SuperMicro Cases/Motherboards with other
vendors.  They really build it to fit.

3.  Make sure to order the half-height CD-drive for the less-than-4U
cases.  They save much room.

4.  Most of these suckers support Zero-Channel RAID.  That is a RAID
card with NO SCSI CONNECTORS!  This bad-boy just takes over the onboard
SCSI and *poof* instant-RAID and no wasted SCSI connectors.  One
downside is that some configurations have no external SCSI connector
with some of these, so be careful if you need to attach, say a tape
changer.

5.  None of the SuperMicro stuff I've seen has riser-boards to support
horizontally mounted PCI cards.  This means that if you're less-than-4U,
you need a half-height card (there's a name for this standard that
escaped me).  Digium X400Ps are FULL-HEIGHT, so you will need to be wary
of this or you may build an Asterisk server only to find that the T1
card everything revolves around doesn't fit!

6.  Lots of these guys seem to come with 64-bit PCI or PCIX at 66-133
MHz.  While this is cool, I have yet to put an old-style PCI card (like
a T400P) into the board and see if it works.  Really, all the other
stuff comes onboard so I've never had a need.  I think it should.  Of
course, a high-speed 64-bit bus could begin pave the way for Bus
Mastering TDM-over-PCIX in the future (after * has achieved "world
domination"). ;)

NOTE:  Mark:  Is there any plan to make Half-Height X400P or maybe a
2-T1 half-height card?  The rack implications of this are huge.  I, for
one, would order an X400PR (half-height, perhaps with a second
half-height insert-blank to hold the second two T1s) or a X200PR (a
half-height 2 T1 interface).  I'm aware that making a card "just for me"
is cost-ineffective, so anyone else who would buy some, please chime in.

My company actually orders a good amount of this stuff, so we get pretty
competitive pricing.  Unfortunately, I have to say there is a huge
variation on the price for this particular brand.  In general, it is so
sought-after, that prices vary widely solely because people can't keep
it in stock (how much is a board worth if you have it and everyone else
is backordered 3 weeks?).

Good luck.  If you have any specific questions, contact me off-list and
I'll answer them (albiet latently).

Jayson