[Asterisk-Users] Rackmount PC hardware suggestions

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 10:01:38 MST 2003

Back when I was in the dot com bussiness.  We bought some Intel
1U machines.  While these don't have 2 PCI slots one could
argue that you'd be better off building multiple servers with
one card in each server.  Then when a machine does fail at least
_all_ your phones don't go dead.  Also with the lower cost box
(about $1K each as configured) you can afford a hot spare.
Even FedEx is to slow when your phones are dead.  You need the
on-site spares.

The next thing we did was keep all our files on a file server
with RAID disks and multiple power suplies.  Only swap space
and the basic OS was on the local machines.

I don't we any reason for SCSI disks on a PBX.  There is so little
I/O, just a few log files.  Use a file server fir file I/O.
Keep your first teir servers as "zero configuration" as you can.

> On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 18:50, John Todd wrote:
> > I'm looking for anyone who has some vendors for rackmount PC
> hardware
> > in a fairly decent configuration for Asterisk/Digium T1
> termination.
> > I am looking for well-built hardware from an integrator that
> > understands correct component choice.  Preferably, I'd like SCSI
> but
> > I might be able to do Ultra-IDE platforms.  I need at least two PCI
>
> > slots in the chassis (so 2u/3u size factor is OK.)
> >
> > URLs are appreciated.  If you have a vendor from whom you've
> received
> > hardware for use with Asterisk and are impressed with their
> quality,
> > do them a favor and send it along.  Especially useful are hints
> about
> > vendors who have "lights-out" motherboards where the BIOS is
> > accessible via a serial port.
> >
> > JT

=====
Chris Albertson