[Asterisk-Users] Should List be Moderated?

Mathew Frank mfrank at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 7 18:01:39 MST 2003

> In light of recent flame baits and advertisements sent to the list, I
> would like to seek opinions of list members on making the list moderated.

I`m not against moderating if required, however I don`t think we should
yet - for the following reasons:
 1 - As of this point, pointless rants/abuse is minimum (ie moderated list
not needed yet imho)
 2 - Moderating slows down conversations (and sometimes things go missing)
 3 - Moderating creates a bucket-load of work for people that would be
better speant replying to posts and improving * (this is the killer for me)

> * Posts should not advertise products, especially not those unusuable
> under Asterisk
I agree with the latter, but not the former.   That blanket ban would
include a posting about a new product like the cheap hardware SIP phones
being discussed atm for example - which would hinder the lists value.

What I propose instead:
 1 - Rule list with consequences easily available - and must be read before
people sign up.   (Possibly emailed to the list every month or so, newsgroup
style?)
 2 - If rules violated, warnings provided by 'moderating team'
 3 - If rules routinely violated, banning by 'moderating team'
 4 - Mailing list non-moderated, direct mode as it currently is.
 5 - Review this in say 6 months to see how it is working (ie if a fully
moderated list is required)

What do other people think?

Cheers,
Mathew