[Asterisk-Users] Should List be Moderated?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 17:57:09 MST 2003

I maintain some small lists (related to sailing) I think it is
good to have several lists.
1) At least one that is completly "open" and unmoderated.
2) A low-volume anounce only list, no posting allowed.
3) A set of "select" lists for narrow topics.  Narrow
   enough that they are small in both volume and number
   of subscribbers

On the subscription page warn people about what to expect.
"this list is open and sees 50 messages a day", or on my
list I say "This list will be of little interrst unless to
are an active crew member racing on my boat". (very narrow
topic) but my "SoCalSailing" is wide open.

One other thing.  Who in the heck are you going to get who
wants to be the moderator of a high volume list?  You know
what its like getting 100 messages a day to moderate?  You
quit that job before the first week is up.  The better solution
is narrow topic lists, but more of them.  Nobody spams my
"crew only" list because thier are only a dozen subscribers.
and you have to be a member to post and I get e-mail notices
when someone subscribes.

The big open lists get the "normal" spam filters but that's it.

--- Eric Wieling <eric at fnords.org> wrote:
> I feel that the list should be unmoderated.  However, I do think
> several
> people would have authority to warn a poster that they are out of
> line.
> If they refuse to stop, they are banned from the list.
>
> --Eric
>
> On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 18:43, Mark Spencer wrote:
> > In light of recent flame baits and advertisements sent to the list,
> > would like to seek opinions of list members on making the list
> moderated.
> > I certainly don't have time to moderate the list myself, so I would
> > suggest giving at least a half dozen, maybe more, people the
> ability to
> > approve posts to keep it flowing quickly.  Moderators would be
> asked just
> > to approve/disapprove based upon a specific list of
> characteristics.
> > Among characteristics that *could* be considered:
> >
> > * Posts should not advertise products, especially not those
> unusuable
> > under Asterisk
> > * Posts should not contain profanity
> > * Posts should not simply be "me-too"'s
> > * Arguably, maybe something related to flame baits
> >
> > Any comments on any of these rules, or suggestions for others, that
> would
> > make the list more valuable?
> >
> > Mark

=====