[asterisk-ss7] SS7 + T1 on Asterisk?

Gustavo Mársico gustavomarsico at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 00:02:46 CST 2011

You're right. And Marcelo is right too.
Nothing stops you to run as match traffic as you like in a pair of links in ANSI or ITU. But Marcelo is pointing a good old fashion way originated in the US in the way how the link capacity is calculated. I remember that ITU-T red book took the principle or load calculation that AT&T made in the late 70's. That rule said that is recommendable to signal up to 2000 circuits per link (1 pair with redundancy) calculated with certain MHT, message lengths, retransmissions, and others. I'm not judging if this is right or wrong, is just a recommendation that AT&T made years ago (adopted by ITU-T).
Someone told me that discussing about ANSI and ITU is like to discuss about SCSI or IDE, or Windows or Linux. I'm not going that far, but the two variants of SS7 has their gains and flaws (24 bits against 14 for SPC, ISUP CNAM, ISUP CIC numbering, T1/E1 channel counting, etc…).
But the principles are the same, and the using for SS7 is the same too.
Links can be aggregated (nail-up connected) by the switches no matter if they're running ANSI or ITU, some carriers do that, some carriers don't. Is not a technical fact, is a business fact. STP can be used in the same way in one or another.
Also, there is no such thing as individual link per trunk group in ITU or ANSI.

I don't know where we going with this thread, but certainly is very far from the original concern :)

Take care guys

Gustavo