[asterisk-ss7] SS7 + T1 on Asterisk?

Michael Mueller ss7box at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 05:06:07 CST 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Paul Timmins <paul at timmins.net> wrote:
> My switch does SS7 over T1 timeslots, but only supports 56k. I'd imagine
> it's because DDS modems were used over copper pair for the original links,
> and 56k timeslots are how DDS is transported over a T1. (Yes, you can have
> 64k DDS links, but I've never seen em)

56 kb/s channel speeds in T1 comes from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbed-bit_signaling

in E carriers, the signaling was carried in the 0th channel and that
why only 31 channels are available instead of 32

robbery in both E and T

> Also, the number of voice channels you can run over 56k SS7 links is
> limitless, the call setup and teardown is what matters, not the number of
> standing calls.

voice channels supported between two unique point code pairs is
limited by the size of the CIC field:

// ITU
../common/ckt_def.h:#define MAX_CIC                             4095
// (2^12)-1
// ANSI
../common/ckt_def.h:#define MAX_CIC                             16383
// (2^14)-1

call setup/teardown rate depends on bandwidth of the linkset

each link in the linkset is 64 kb/s or 8kB/s; running at 40% max
utilization 3200 B/s; each call is estimated to be 160 B = (80 B IAM +
4*20 B ACM/ANS/REL/RLC)); 3200/160 = 20 calls per second

> But I wanted to point out here that nothing stops you from using ANSI SS7
> the same way you describe ITU SS7, there's technically nothing more or less
> efficient about it. In fact, the north american setup is actually more
> efficient, because you can signal an entire network over two 56k links to
> your matched STP pairs, and that's all you need. I'm signaling trunks to
> something like 10 tandems, with some trunkgroups as large as 20 DS1s,  in 4
> LATAs over just two redundant 56k links to one STP pair. Contrast that to
> your individual links per trunkgroup and tell me what's more efficient.

The ANSI network evolved to serve a much larger network than the PTT
networks using ITU networks.  I'd argue that meshing makes more sense
for interconnecting many independent networks, and hub/spoke works
well for a large monopoly needing to defend its position.

A links to the hub/spoke network are expensive for small operators and
have the effect of stifling low end competition.  SIGTRAN access
didn't offer any cost advantages to operators in A link markets.