[Asterisk-ss7] SS7 Information

janvb at caselaboratories.com janvb at caselaboratories.com
Thu Jan 5 07:08:22 CST 2006

Abdul Lateef Khan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to use SS7 connection to my termination gateways, I would
> like to know Which E1 Card will be sufficieant to handel more than 200
> simultaneous calls.

Depends on what you want to do. SS7 covers a large area, but assuming
that you also want voice calls, not only signalling, you basically need
7 E1 lines (2 4x cards etc) or 9 T1's.

> How we can make the connection from different countries i.e. my
> Asterisk is in UK and the Carriers are in USA how i can do the SS7
> even SS7 is phisical connection?

You need a stack that will handle ANSI and ETSI. They are quite
different on both mtp and isup levels.

But, where are you and how will you connect to the network?

If you are in the US and connect to a local vendor that one will give
you T1's only and you don't need to think about the connection in other
countries. The same if you are in Uk. It is only if you are both in UK
and US and want to bridge yourself you need to worry about this.

Jan