[Asterisk-ss7] SS7 Information

Christopher Bergström cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Thu Jan 5 01:42:54 CST 2006

Teodor Georgiev wrote:

>Hi, you could hit the wall in such a situation. The issue is that in UK and
>USA they use different implementations of the SS7 stack. I am not sure (even
>more - I doubt) that Asterisk is able to play a "protocol converter" and
>convert between these two.
>
>On Thursday 05 January 2006 06:13, Abdul Lateef Khan wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I wanted to use SS7 connection to my termination gateways, I would like to
>>know Which E1 Card will be sufficieant to handel more than 200 simultaneous
>>calls.
>>
>>How we can make the connection from different countries i.e. my Asterisk is
>>in UK and the Carriers are in USA how i can do the SS7 even SS7 is phisical
>>connection?

Pardon a lot of ignorance here..  Some questions and assumptions when
using SS7...

a) You can handle a lot more connections efficiently over a single PRI
than SIP on a single server.. (iow.. the server load is less, but not
taking into account codec translations)
b) The ss7 stack that is built-in to linux isn't currently compatible
with Cisco gear..
c) Is there a standard codec that is assumed when dealing with SS7 or is
it not so unheard of to ask for your voice channels to be delivered in
say GSM or g7xx?
d) Lastly, SS7 also means you don't have to do the MaxTNT route with a
million PRI to just get 500 channels??

We have a unique opportunity to connect with a major carrier in the
Balkan area, but I have to admit I like to be more technically savvy in
this area and just haven't had the time to read and research this..
What's the overall level of difficulty setting this up compared to a
standard * + SER setup..

C.