[Asterisk-ss7] My Take on the SS7

Derek Conniffe derek at rivertower.ie
Fri Aug 26 04:20:17 CDT 2005

Hi Michael,

To me the reason I'd really like SS7 over PRI ISDN is that I would
really like to get the CPC data on incoming calls which PRI ISDN cannot
do and thats it in total.  Currently the only choice is Markku Korpi's
commercial SS7 driver.

>  So my question to the list.
>    If there is such a huge need for this product why has the code not
been developed?
I think not many people need SS7 - maybe its not big/available in the
US?  Also normal businesses will get by fine with PRI ISDN (they don't
want/need the CPC switch data).

>        Is it that the developer realizeed that they can sell it for
lots o money
Markku Korpi's driver is not cheap for sure

Best of luck!  When you are finished I you might want lots of money for
your non-opensource SS7 software too! :)

Derek

Michael Blood wrote:

> We are interested in starting an in house development of an SS7
> Interface for our asterisk switches.
> We only really have to setup a few basic messaging sets in order to
> make Asterisk operate as a SSP (I think).
>
> It seems that FootNote SS7 development is stalled (at least I have
> never seen any code come from Race)  also openSS7 doesn't really have
> anything compatible with asterisk.
>
> We plan to start the planning portion in the next few days.  We will
> only support a minimal messaging set that is specific to our needs for
> SSPs.
>
> Is there any technical advice for direction to go or issues to work out?
> I wanted to mention that we have decided to do this in house because
> the open source solutions are not there yet and they seem to want to
> be everything to everyone.  We don't need that.  The openss7 product
> seems to address TOO many features.  We dont plan to connect to an SCP
> node, we can  survive without LNP and  Database Lookups.
>
> So my question to the list.
>     If there is such a huge need for this product why has the code not
> been developed?
>         Is it that the developer realizeed that they can sell it for
> lots o money
>         Is it that the message sets are two big and complex?  Maybe
> the developer wants to be able to support way more messages than we need.
>
> I have not yet decided what we will be doing with the once we have
> completed things but if we should decided to open source it we will
> want to make sure that the code is written the best way possible for
> asterisk.
>
> Would Asterisk-Dev be an appropriate place to post questions about the
> best practice ways to develop the application.
> Are there any caveats or gotchas that you may have experienced or
> heard of to the development of this subset of SS7 functionality?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Blood

Derek Conniffe
Rivertower Ltd
Ireland: (Freephone) 1800 719 400
Ireland: (Local) 01 244 9719
United Kingdom: 0870 068 2368
International: 00 353 1 244 9719
Derek Conniffe DDI: 01 201 0146 (International: 00 353 1 201 0146)
Derek Conniffe Mobile: 086 856 3823 (International: 00 353 86 856 3823)
Fax: 01 201 0085 (International: 00 353 1 201 0085)
Email: Derek at rivertower.ie
Web: http://www.rivertowerhosting.com