[Asterisk-ss7] My Take on the SS7

Michael Blood Michael at Matraex.com
Thu Aug 25 20:00:16 CDT 2005

We are interested in starting an in house development of an SS7 Interface
for our asterisk switches.
We only really have to setup a few basic messaging sets in order to make
Asterisk operate as a SSP (I think).

It seems that FootNote SS7 development is stalled (at least I have never
seen any code come from Race)  also openSS7 doesn't really have anything
compatible with asterisk.

We plan to start the planning portion in the next few days.  We will only
support a minimal messaging set that is specific to our needs for SSPs.

Is there any technical advice for direction to go or issues to work out?
I wanted to mention that we have decided to do this in house because the
open source solutions are not there yet and they seem to want to be
everything to everyone.  We don't need that.  The openss7 product seems to
address TOO many features.  We dont plan to connect to an SCP node, we can
survive without LNP and  Database Lookups.

So my question to the list.
    If there is such a huge need for this product why has the code not been
developed?
        Is it that the developer realizeed that they can sell it for lots o
money
        Is it that the message sets are two big and complex?  Maybe the
developer wants to be able to support way more messages than we need.

I have not yet decided what we will be doing with the once we have completed
things but if we should decided to open source it we will want to make sure
that the code is written the best way possible for asterisk.

Would Asterisk-Dev be an appropriate place to post questions about the best
practice ways to develop the application.
Are there any caveats or gotchas that you may have experienced or heard of
to the development of this subset of SS7 functionality?

Thanks

Michael Blood