[Asterisk-ss7] SS7 support for * from Aculab (Was: My Take on the SS7)

Fri Aug 26 04:37:01 CDT 2005

Hello,

Perhaps it is of interest to the list to know that Aculab now supports a
channel driver for its Prosody line of cards. Prosody cards among
others, support many SS7 variants.

The channel driver and accompanying software for the cards are given for
free when you buy the card.

Information can be found here:

http://www.aculab.com/products/asterisk/index.htm

I asked at Aculab for pricing and it turns out that for 2 E1s per card
the pricing is a bit better than the currently available driver from
Markku Korpi. For 4 E1s the pricing from Aculab clearly becomes better.
Plus, the Prosody cards come with DSP resources for fax, DTMF detection,
recording, playback etc, in case someone does not want to put the burden
of these tasks on the CPU.

For 1 E1 only, even when you add the cost of acquiring the Digium card,
the cost of Markku Korpi's driver is lower.

Of course this information concerns only the list prices, without any
volume discounts, etc, also without taking into account the
maintenance/support fees, etc

As we know, there are no plans (yet) to provide channel drivers for
other Aculab cards which have only telephony interfaces and no DSP's,
which would lower the buying cost of the cards significantly.

Best regards,
Vlasis Hatzistavrou.