[Asterisk-Security] Supporting security list

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Sun Aug 7 17:00:19 CDT 2005

On Sunday August 7 2005 16:56, steve szmidt spake:
> On Sunday 07 August 2005 17:38, Joey Kelly wrote:
> > Again, PGP is NOT free software. "Free for noncommerical use" is not
> > acceptable when it comes to interacting with Asterisk. Asterisk is
> > licensed under the GPL, and therefore is incompatible for use with
> > software that is licensed in a restrictive fashion, such as PGP.
>
> Not acceptable for whom? Me and my customers are more than happy to pay for
> a encryption solution. (Though free is nice for the short term. Then when
> the developer has starved to death...)
>
> You seem to have a misunderstanding on the GPL. A freestanding product has
> no problem talking to GPL s/w. The FOP for example, talking to the manager,
> can do so even if it was a commercial product.

Free-standing? Correct. It not be possible to bundle free and non-free
software, which was my point. If I misunderstood what you were actually
implying, I apologize.

--
Joey Kelly
http://joeykelly.net

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL