[Asterisk-Security] Supporting security list

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Sun Aug 7 16:56:17 CDT 2005

On Sunday 07 August 2005 17:38, Joey Kelly wrote:

> Again, PGP is NOT free software. "Free for noncommerical use" is not
> acceptable when it comes to interacting with Asterisk. Asterisk is licensed
> under the GPL, and therefore is incompatible for use with software that is
> licensed in a restrictive fashion, such as PGP.

Not acceptable for whom? Me and my customers are more than happy to pay for a
encryption solution. (Though free is nice for the short term. Then when the
developer has starved to death...)

You seem to have a misunderstanding on the GPL. A freestanding product has no
problem talking to GPL s/w. The FOP for example, talking to the manager, can
do so even if it was a commercial product.

Look at the nVidia driver, it's not GPL. Same deal.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin