[hydra-dev] * Fault Tolerance vs High availability

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Thu Jun 3 09:16:33 CDT 2010

it is like security: each one has to put his requirements and do his
risk assessments. And there is a wide variety of requirements in the
market.

Usually, low-cost new providers/users to the market, which is where
asterisk is good at, does not have the same requirements as more
mature/large scale providers.

Therefore, a good architecture should accomodate users to enable or
disable these kinds of features, based on their own assesment of the
needs. because, yes, you are right, fault
tolerance/high-availability/redundancy/... are often "expensive"
(expensive not only counting the duplicated
hardware/software/bandwidth/..., but everything around: complexity of
operations, management, software development, etc...)

Marc.