[asterisk-r2] Problem patching Asterisk 1.6.0.6

Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar alexandre.alencar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:04:11 CDT 2009

Hi folks,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Anton Krall <akrall at intruder.com.mx> wrote:

> Pablo
>
> I wanted to add some comments to your post which sounded quite interesting
> to me.
>
> I read and understand the points described below but to me, those bullets
> sound more like a coders saying ³don't bother me with it². I own a tech
> support company and first and foremost, we are here to server the people,
> We
> also develop software and I know how demanding the end users can be, but in
> the end, we are here to server them.

You are talking in a pespective of business profit, Moises not. OpenR2 is a
free and open source software project, so, we are not here to necessary
serve users as they ask, just because we are investing our free time in this
project and we have other paid jobs to do.

> You may ask, why should I need to help other when I'm not charging anything
> for openr2 use? And that's a valid question... Which I can only answer like
> this: first of all, why develop openr2? To fill the void that unicall left
> (BTW Steve Underwood left unicall and asterisk because of something like
> what we are seeing here, he just got fed up), so, if openr2 was developed
> fill a void, then it was expected that as more and more users started using
> it, question would arise and needs would be shouted out... After all,
> asterisk is used in production environments and not for hobbies so there is
> a certain ³urgency² to make it work here.
>

> Also, like the saying goes ³if you don't want to feed the cat, don't own a
> cat².... If a successful software like openr2 is developed and released on
> to the community, and as more and more users use it, certain responsibility
> from the developer is expected.... And dare I say... Certain etiquette...
> We all have our bad days but hey, it always pays to be nice to people.

As I can understand, you think that OpenR2 team should give all the support
for users all the time. This is not true and you should read the disclaimer
of any free and open source software you are using. Look for the "AS IS"
text string.

By the way, OpenR2 offered since it's get public a very quickly and
affordable support. When Moises Silva posted MFC/R2 patch  at Digium Mantis,
I and some others brazilian guys was discussing how to create an effective
MFC/R2 library for Asterisk, so the first thing I did was to contact Moises
Silva to help.

I don't know so much about R2 protocol, but I know a bit about the toolchain
used, I have the needed hardware and links to test, I invested time to
document and test the library and all the time I was helping Moises Silva as
I can. Others guys from here did the same.

I remeber in a day when Moises and I lasted around 48 hours trying to find a
bug in the thread processing of the calls, we have different timezones, we
debugged it night and day.

We created a mannual (english and portuguese) to help people install and get
the system running. People don't just read the mannual, they come here and
ask us to do it for them. We are not here to make their jobs, we can help,
but not do in fact to them.

Some weeks ago, I helped some guys from Phillipines (timezone -12 hours), it
was free of charge to them, and I did it because has at least tryed to
follow the mannual.

So, if you ask to people that use OpenR2 here in Brazil and many others
contries, you will know that the support are always given, but we don't make
others job.

> On the other end of the spectrum, users that are using openr2 can also help
> the developer with testing, bug reporting, and maybe even pitching in with
> some $$$ for his hard work... I'm not saying pull out your wallets and
> throw
> money like it was a MS software project but hey, throw some bucks on the
> developers way just to say ³thank you for creating this software and keep
> up
> the good job². Maybe that will also help, on a subconscious level, help
> improve the developers attitude by showing you care.

Many times we asked people to test their links and return information to
help improve the library, a small portion do it. A simple feedback is not
reported.

> Both of us, the developer and us, users, can help openr2 become even better
> than it is right now... But we all have to do our parts... Moises, just
> tell
> us what to do... Open a paypal account so we can pitch in, send us code for
> testing, etc... But don't shut us out by saying ³Ill fix it when I have
> time
> or if I want to...²

Hey guy, take a look at the list history, same questions, same mistakes all
weeks long. People just don't know how to search the list archive to get
help in thinks that was already resolved. They don't just read the mannual
to try to build the library.

> Don't become the next Steve Underwood please. You are not alone on this
> project and we would like to help out.

Here is my personal opinion. Moises Silva is a great guy, and do a great job
in the openr2 library, for free. He have the right to refuse to reply the
same thing all the time because theses guys don't simple read a mannual or
try to do a Google Search.

> Anton Krall
> Direccion General
>
> Intruder Consulting
> A Division of IntruderEnterprises S.A. de C.V.
> www.Intruder.com.mx
> www.IntruderStore.com.mx
>
> Tel. 3872-2200 ext. 201
> Tel. 01-800-INTRUDER (01-800-468-7833)
> Email: akrall at intruder.com.mx
>
> Disclaimer - Junio 25, 2009
> solely for asterisk-r2 at lists.digium.com. If you are not the named
> addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email.
> and might not represent those of Intruder Consulting. Warning: Although
> Intruder Consulting has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses
> are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any
> loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

Alexandre C Alencar (Skarmeth)
http://blog.alexandrealencar.net/
http://www.alexandrealencar.net/
http://people.debian-ce.org/skarmeth/