[asterisk-r2] Problem patching Asterisk 1.6.0.6

Anton Krall akrall at intruder.com.mx
Thu Jun 25 13:21:07 CDT 2009

Pablo

I wanted to add some comments to your post which sounded quite interesting
to me.

I read and understand the points described below but to me, those bullets
sound more like a coders saying ³don't bother me with it². I own a tech
support company and first and foremost, we are here to server the people, We
also develop software and I know how demanding the end users can be, but in
the end, we are here to server them.

You may ask, why should I need to help other when I'm not charging anything
for openr2 use? And that's a valid question... Which I can only answer like
this: first of all, why develop openr2? To fill the void that unicall left
(BTW Steve Underwood left unicall and asterisk because of something like
what we are seeing here, he just got fed up), so, if openr2 was developed to
fill a void, then it was expected that as more and more users started using
it, question would arise and needs would be shouted out... After all,
asterisk is used in production environments and not for hobbies so there is
a certain ³urgency² to make it work here.

Also, like the saying goes ³if you don't want to feed the cat, don't own a
cat².... If a successful software like openr2 is developed and released on
to the community, and as more and more users use it, certain responsibility
from the developer is expected.... And dare I say... Certain etiquette...
We all have our bad days but hey, it always pays to be nice to people.

On the other end of the spectrum, users that are using openr2 can also help
the developer with testing, bug reporting, and maybe even pitching in with
some $$$ for his hard work... I'm not saying pull out your wallets and throw
money like it was a MS software project but hey, throw some bucks on the
developers way just to say ³thank you for creating this software and keep up
the good job². Maybe that will also help, on a subconscious level, help
improve the developers attitude by showing you care.

Both of us, the developer and us, users, can help openr2 become even better
than it is right now... But we all have to do our parts... Moises, just tell
us what to do... Open a paypal account so we can pitch in, send us code for
testing, etc... But don't shut us out by saying ³Ill fix it when I have time
or if I want to...²

Don't become the next Steve Underwood please. You are not alone on this
project and we would like to help out.

Anton Krall
Direccion General

Intruder Consulting
A Division of IntruderEnterprises S.A. de C.V.
www.Intruder.com.mx
www.IntruderStore.com.mx

Tel. 3872-2200 ext. 201
Tel. 01-800-INTRUDER (01-800-468-7833)
Email: akrall at intruder.com.mx

Disclaimer - Junio 25, 2009
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for asterisk-r2 at lists.digium.com. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Intruder Consulting. Warning: Although Intruder Consulting has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.