[asterisk-gui] asterisk-gui install]

Ming Yong voiceroutelist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 16:20:51 MST 2007

Bruce,
I wanted to clarify to Gary that your statement of no commercial
asterisk gui that supports ABE is not true. Druid standalone supports
version 1 to 1.4 & we have been in GUI since June 2005 (we did not start
around the same time as digium's AsteriskNow GUI late 2006?).

The power of the asterisk community is diversity of support &
applications. I hope Bruce understands that there is more than just
Digium's GUI in the community & asterisk's popularity is because of
diversity & not monopoly
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+GUI
Many users come to the Druid platform using asterisk 1.4 too. In our
distribution for asterisk 1.4, we never at any point took out the option
for people from choosing AsteriskGUI. We give them a choice to try both
& make an informed decision themselves.

Going back to technical =>
Druid is actually written in PHP + JSON framework. In fact since Druid
v1 Dec 2005, we have rewritten it at least 3-4 times over. Now it runs
with pretty light load.
In fact, we have an embedded Druid edition that will be running on an
embedded PBX appliance vdex box (launch in june 2006) that has 250mhz
Risc processor 128MB ram + 1GB Flash. You can easily load Druid with 30
sessions without exceeding 70% utilization on the box.
For those we are interested in knowing more about vdex box
(http://www.technoco.biz)
http://digg.com/hardware/TechnoCo_and_Voiceroute_Announce_Embedded_Open_Source_Asteriskt_PBX/who

Regarding the whole debate about client side being better than say
running PHP on apache. There is really no right or wrong here. The cons
of AsteriskGUI is that you miss out on all the power & ajax related
modules that comes with PHP. Those modules just keeps getting richer &
better.
The rich look and feel of many GUIs like Druid autoprovision of IP phone
page
http://demo.voiceroute.net/druid
user: admin
passwd: rx4819
See Users > Add Extension Wizard.
On the plus side of AsteriskGui, theoretically the load should be lower
than say someone who runs apache. However, the trick is in the details.
You can use lighttpd PHP & json to achieve almost the same load as that
of AsteriskGUI without losing all the power of PHP

Just my 2 sense bruce
Ming