[asterisk-doc] New portal for Asterisk: The Future of Telephony (online HTML)

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 09:46:14 CDT 2009

2009/3/19 Leif Madsen <leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org>:

> Gavin Henry wrote:
>> 2009/3/19 Leif Madsen <leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org>:
>>> If you have ideas of things you think are lacking in the second edition, or have
>>> ideas of things that absolutely must be in the third edition, don't hesitate to
>>> reply here, or contact me directly at "leif.madsen -at- asteriskdocs -dot- org".
>>
>> Do you think there could be an Advanced Asterisk book? Or how is the Asterisk
>> Cookbook coming along?
>>
>> The first book leaves you very hungry for more, but then nothing fills
>> in that gap.
>
> Can you elaborate on what would be involved in an Advanced Asterisk book? What
> kinds of things would you expect in such a book.
>
> At this point, none of the authors of A:TFoT have enough time to start on a new
> book, so that's why we're going to focus on updating A:TFoT to a 3rd edition.
> Perhaps we can add some of the more 'advanced' things you're thinking of.
>
> Asterisk is a vast and powerful system, but vague answers won't help us write
> the book you're expecting.

Yeah, sorry. Bad of me. I always assume people know what's in my head
when I write something!

3rd Edition:

1. For a start I would really like to see PRI/BRI stuff in the 3rd
edition. Even just using x-over cables.
2. Something about testing ;-) Heh.
3. Something about benchmarking and call capacities on a modern *
system. I think this may be covered already though.

Advanced:

1. An Advanced edition may cover something about OpenSIPS or Kamailio
and other sip proxies using Asterisk.
2. Linking different PBXs together.

My understanding of advanced, may be someones "beginner" and vice
versa, so I'll leave that up to you.

That's about it until it comes to a point where you'd need a book per topic.

Thanks.

--
http://www.suretecsystems.com/services/openldap/