[asterisk-doc] New portal for Asterisk: The Future of Telephony (online HTML)

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Thu Mar 19 09:55:07 CDT 2009

Gavin Henry wrote:
> 2009/3/19 Leif Madsen <leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org>:
>
>> Gavin Henry wrote:

>>> Do you think there could be an Advanced Asterisk book? Or how is the Asterisk
>>> Cookbook coming along?
>>>
>>> The first book leaves you very hungry for more, but then nothing fills
>>> in that gap.
>>>
>> Can you elaborate on what would be involved in an Advanced Asterisk book? What
>> kinds of things would you expect in such a book.
>>
>> At this point, none of the authors of A:TFoT have enough time to start on a new
>> book, so that's why we're going to focus on updating A:TFoT to a 3rd edition.
>> Perhaps we can add some of the more 'advanced' things you're thinking of.
>>
>> Asterisk is a vast and powerful system, but vague answers won't help us write
>> the book you're expecting.
>>

> Yeah, sorry. Bad of me. I always assume people know what's in my head
> when I write something!
>
> 3rd Edition:
>
> 1. For a start I would really like to see PRI/BRI stuff in the 3rd
> edition. Even just using x-over cables.

Agreed. We'll be covering that in much detail
> 2. Something about testing ;-) Heh.

Testing? Who needs testing? :-p

In all seriousness, though, we will be giving much though to the kinds
of problems that people commonly experience, and ways to address those.
> 3. Something about benchmarking and call capacities on a modern *
> system. I think this may be covered already though.

We do talk about this a bit, and we'll probably do a bit more of it.
That's certainly an interesting topic.
> Advanced:
>
> 1. An Advanced edition may cover something about OpenSIPS or Kamailio
> and other sip proxies using Asterisk.

This is something to give some serious thought to, but the simple fact
is that all those SER-based projects are pretty complicated, and our
book (as with any book) needs to be true to it's subject. I think what
you might find us doing is giving a more thorough treatment of the SIP
protocol itself, but we'll see what time (and skill allow). It's a good
suggestion, though.
> 2. Linking different PBXs together.

Yep. Good idea and one we've got on the planned outline.
> My understanding of advanced, may be someones "beginner" and vice
> versa, so I'll leave that up to you.
>
> That's about it until it comes to a point where you'd need a book per topic.
>
> Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. They are all good ones, and we'll be bearing
them in mind as we go forward.

Jim Van Meggelen
jim at vanmeggelen.ca
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2177

"A child is the ultimate startup, and I have three.
This makes me rich."
                    Guy Kawasaki