[asterisk-doc] PHP.net-style Asterisk Documentation

James Hunt filefrog at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 17:12:49 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Jared Smith <jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net> wrote:

> That's the goal... but after spending way too much time looking at the
> php.net code, I think we'll end up building some other app rather than
> using their code.

Excellent.  I've done a fair bit of web development in the Rails and PHP arena,
so if I can help out with the backend engine, I'd be glad to.  I am also a Linux
sysad by profession and passion, so if any help is needed running the web box,
I would also be happy to assist.

> The first item of business, however, is to make sure that each and every
> application is converted over to the new format, and to clean up the
> documentation along the way.  From there it should be pretty simple to
> create web output.

I think the two efforts could work in parallel - one team starts hacking on the
web engine to build the pages from source and tack on the comment structure,
and another starts reviewing the quality and scope of the source docs.

Ideally, we want to make it as easy as possible to update the web docs from
the latest stable source code, without implementing hooks from the VCS repo.
It would be awesome if the web engine was smart enough to allow admins to
initiate a docs rebuild, which would go out and check out latest stable, extract
the XML docs and refresh the site with current stuff.  We could even place a
version tag in the header of the website, to let people know how current the web
docs really are.

> (I've even got a simple XSL transform for creating HTML output from the
> AstXML documentation... once I have a few more bugs worked out of it,
> I'll post it for all to see.)

Looking forward to it.

--
James