[asterisk-doc] PHP.net-style Asterisk Documentation

James Hunt filefrog at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 10:09:16 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Jared Smith <jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net> wrote:
> I don't know if there's really anyone "in charge" per se.  Eliel
> Sardañons did much of the initial implementation code in Asterisk, and
> he and I (and a few others) have been slowing working to convert the
> built-in help to the new format.  I'd be happy to show you the ropes,
> and I welcome any feedback and/or help along the way.

That would be great.

> It was decided that DocBook was too unwieldy to use for the internal
> documentation, so we made a very simplified XML format that can be
> easily converted to/from DocBook.  If you were to use Subversion to
> check out the trunk of Asterisk development, you'd see that the DTD for
> our format is included with Asterisk.

I did some looking in trunk, and I did find the XML itself.  This actually ties
into the PHP.net-style asterisk docs site -- I think we can extract the XML
and use it to create a web node for each application / function / etc., and
then slap a commenting engine on top of it.

I'll look for the DTD tonight.

--
James