[asterisk-doc] PHP.net-style Asterisk Documentation

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Mon Apr 27 09:36:47 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 13:33 -0500, James Hunt wrote:
> Is there anyone "in charge" of that effort that I could talk to?  The
> more I work with the LaTeX and doxygen documentation, the more I see
> area for improvement that I would like to help out with.

I don't know if there's really anyone "in charge" per se.  Eliel
Sardañons did much of the initial implementation code in Asterisk, and
he and I (and a few others) have been slowing working to convert the
built-in help to the new format.  I'd be happy to show you the ropes,
and I welcome any feedback and/or help along the way.

> I am assuming that by 'XML format' you mean something like DocBook for
> the in-depth conceptual documentation / manuals.  Is this correct?

It was decided that DocBook was too unwieldy to use for the internal
documentation, so we made a very simplified XML format that can be
easily converted to/from DocBook.  If you were to use Subversion to
check out the trunk of Asterisk development, you'd see that the DTD for
our format is included with Asterisk.

-Jared