[asterisk-doc] I am new to asterisk..Please help me..

Randolph Resnick randulo at ssl-mail.com
Thu Jul 13 22:55:58 MST 2006

<cue hypnotic music>
Greetings. You have reached... a new state of consciousness.

> No harm in helping those newbies who can't make it, is there?

Not at all. By all means, people should be helped. That is exactly what
happens when the person follows the advice given. When someone writes to
this list with a question, it is usually someone whose first language is
not English, because it's obvious by the title, "Discussions regarding
The Asterisk Documentation Project" what the list is for. Not a help
forum. Not a help forum.

Once someone does write asking for help on asterisk issues, they
generally are politely reminded that the list is for discussion about
the documentation effort and that there are various other sources of
information and places to get help. Because the list is quiet, people
are more tolerant. Also, one can subscribe and not see any activity so
you can't lurk and find out discretely that this isn't a help forum. Not
a help forum. Not a help forum.

At this point, and I told ganesh this in a private mail as well as here,
they can look for help on any of the *many* forums about asterisk, on
the IRC #asterisk channel and on the -users list if you know the basics.
I also told him that often there are local user groups and documents in
other languages. I know for a fact that there is a French forum where
you can ask questions and get help in French and a French documentation
effort as well. I just Googled for asterisk forum and immediately found
three pretty good ones on as many continents. These are asterisk help
forums. Help forums.

"Discussions regarding The Asterisk Documentation Project" is not a help
form. Not a help forum.

This thread isn't even about opinions, this is about the purpose of this
list. The list exists for a reason and discussing specific questions is
not any part of that reason. Not a help form. Not a help forum.

Ok everyone. When I count to three, wake up. You feel refreshed. You
will not remember anything I said.

<fade to huge Tibetan gong>