[Asterisk-doc] Minutes of the first "conferece call"

Mark Elkins asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Fri, 21 May 2004 15:27:29 +0200

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 04:15, Vincent Alcalde wrote:
> > Level of detail:  We discussed what level of detail
> > we ought to go into
> > with regards to Asterisk.  We decided that the book
> > should be aimed
> > towards someone who has a solid understanding of
> > Linux (or BSD, for
> > those of you who lean that direction) systems
> > administration.

> I was wondering if you have discussed whether it might
> be a good idea to pattern the book after some other
> book we all like -- is there a product-based book that
> is so clear and lucid that makes us want to pattern
> the Asterisk book on it?

My favourite range of books for this type of thing is of course the
Nutshell range (O'Reilly). Model the book as if its going to be them
that publish a hard-copy. This overcomes the problems of "book about
installing Linux" - Let O'Reilly stick appropriate "more titles from
O'Reilly" in the back....

(Even if I've just committed the unpardonable sin by using the name
"O'Reilly" - they have a good layout to follow)

Usually, its the authors of the software that write the book. Does Mark
Spencer not get a chance? I actually thought that this was just a
project to generate better documentation - not a book.

(I'm also a newbie to Asterisk - about 8 weeks - and I have a live
system in operation for my company (2xBRI, 4xSIP)

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje@posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE