[Asterisk-doc] modules instead of config-files

Martin List-Petersen asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:04:14 +0100

Hi,

i've finally taken myself together and made the modifications to chapter
6, that i suggested a couple of weeks (months :( ) ago.

But before i now commit these and start a big flamewar, i want you guys
to have a look at this first and see, if my suggestion is acceptable.

I've compiled tonights cvs checkout with my modifications at
http://loke.home.marlow.dk/~marlow/hgta.pdf and
http://loke.home.marlow.dk/~marlow/hgta/ (html version). Don't expect
grand speed on this, it's my adsl at home and there is only 128 kbit
upstream.

You will see, that i have made minor modifications to Introductions and
the "other hardware" appendix (Appendix I) because i feel that this
information should reside in the rewritten chapter (which is chapter 6,
originally configuration files, now: Modules, or "Things that make
Asterisk work.") I have not modified much of the old information from
the conf-files.xml yet, just moved it to the positions where is should
reside in the rewritten chapter. chan_zap and the description of
zaptel.conf was completely written from scratch tonight. zapata.conf
will follow tomorrow, if this can be accepted in the form it is. If not,
i will have to move it into the original chapter.

The "other hardware" appendix should not deal with the different ISDN
channels drivers etc. but much more concentrate how to implement the
hardware at the driver level, what i will improve a lot more in the
following days (for chan_capi, zaphfc/qozap and chan_mISDN).

The new chapter is called modules.xml, so it will not overwrite the old
file conf-files.xml, which of course will be marked for deletion from
the cvs if the changes are accepted and commited, since this new chapter
has all the information that was in the original one.

As I have expressed earlier, I feel that describing channel,
application, etc. and their related config files is the better way to
go, since one channel driver can have more than one configuration file
and you usually want to configure one service and everything that is
related to it.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen