[Asterisk-doc] modules instead of config-files

Leif Madsen asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:48:30 -0400

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:04:14 +0100, Martin List-Petersen
<martin+asterisk@list-petersen.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i've finally taken myself together and made the modifications to chapter
> 6, that i suggested a couple of weeks (months :( ) ago.
>
> But before i now commit these and start a big flamewar, i want you guys
> to have a look at this first and see, if my suggestion is acceptable.

I think you have us mistaken for asterisk-users :)

> You will see, that i have made minor modifications to Introductions and
> the "other hardware" appendix (Appendix I) because i feel that this
> information should reside in the rewritten chapter (which is chapter 6,
> originally configuration files, now: Modules, or "Things that make
> Asterisk work.") I have not modified much of the old information from
> the conf-files.xml yet, just moved it to the positions where is should
> reside in the rewritten chapter. chan_zap and the description of
> zaptel.conf was completely written from scratch tonight. zapata.conf
> will follow tomorrow, if this can be accepted in the form it is. If not,
> i will have to move it into the original chapter.
>
> The "other hardware" appendix should not deal with the different ISDN
> channels drivers etc. but much more concentrate how to implement the
> hardware at the driver level, what i will improve a lot more in the
> following days (for chan_capi, zaphfc/qozap and chan_mISDN).
>
> The new chapter is called modules.xml, so it will not overwrite the old
> file conf-files.xml, which of course will be marked for deletion from
> the cvs if the changes are accepted and commited, since this new chapter
> has all the information that was in the original one.
>
> As I have expressed earlier, I feel that describing channel,
> application, etc. and their related config files is the better way to
> go, since one channel driver can have more than one configuration file
> and you usually want to configure one service and everything that is
> related to it.

I have just read through most of your changes, and I really like where
you are heading with this.  It still looks to be a rough draft (but
which sections are not...), but I would say we should move towards
this style.

I agree with you that saying the channel, application etc... and then
the configuration files associated with that makes sense.  This allows
us to make it easier to search for a specific part of configuration.
If we are only interested in a certain channel, then we can find it in
chapter 6 and only have to bother reading the configuration changes in
the files associated with that.  This way we don't have to try and
explain "everything" about zapata.conf in one spot, we can have
zapata.conf in a couple of spots relating to different channels,
drivers, applications (as an example).

Good work!  I'd say you can probably check this into CVS, but I'd like
to hear opinions from other people as well (Jared and Jim, I'm looking
in your direction :D)

Thanks!
Leif Madsen.
http://www.asteriskdocs.org