[Asterisk-doc] "The Extensions.conf Cookbook" chapter

Leif Madsen asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
29 Dec 2003 20:32:58 -0500

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 19:04, Jared Smith wrote:
> Components of Asterisk Configuration
>   The Asterisk Directory Structure
>   Editing .conf files
>      ??? Maybe explain modules.conf, so that newbies understand
>          why modules.conf is so important?
>   Getting started with a DevKit Lite ((one FXS, one FXO - Maybe a diff
> title?))
>      Zaptel and zaptel.conf ((GS/LS/KS signalling... zttool... etc.))
>      Zapata.conf ((just the basics... an introduction to contexts))
>      Extensions.conf ((just enough to be dangerous))
>   Getting started with VoIP ((just the basics))
>      SIP - sip.conf
>      IAX - iax.conf

I'm almost wondering if the extensions.conf file part should be before
the "Gerring started with VoIP"... just because this section below seems
to be a good introduction about how the extensions.conf file is
configured, but you've kinda already configured part of an
extensions.conf.  That might be good in some ways, but I'm wondering if
people would understand why we were setting up things in the
extensions.conf the way we are better if we had already told them about
contexts, includes, etc.. etc.. ?

>   The Extensions.conf File
>      Contexts ((why to separate))
>      Includes ((how to reduce typing))
>      Macro's ((how to write them - Include with above?))
>      Variables ((extra data))
>      Call flow ((putting it together))
>      Special extensions (I,T,S)
>      More advanced applications calls ((Asterisk allows for a lot of
> different formats for calling apps))

I'm guessing this is more of how to use these applications in the
extensions.conf file rather than just repeating what is in Appendix C ?
<speaking about section below>

>   Asterisk Add-On Applications
>      Playback()
>      Record()
>      GotoIf()
>      Cut()
>      Authenticate()
>      VoiceMail2
>      ZapBarge()
>      ... etc

Basically plug and play scripts ?

> Advanced Concepts: a.k.a. "The Cookbook"
>      Building IVR
>      Bringing in the DB
>      DISA

Yah... we might have to move some of the sections in other parts of the
book to this chapter if they are extensions.conf specific...  once we
get this outline defined, this might change the whole structure of the
book... ?

>      Music On Hold: The moh.conf File (already in Chap. 7?)
>      Voicemail: The voicemail.conf File
>      MeetMe: The meetme.conf File
>      Any number of other neat tricks to go along
> Configuring Channels

Again... sections below are kind of in other sections of the book...

--
Leif Madsen <leif@hacklocalhost.com>
http://www.hacklocalhost.com