[Asterisk-doc] "The Extensions.conf Cookbook" chapter

Steven Critchfield asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:55:13 -0600

I think I am going to repeat some of what Lief has said.

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 18:04, Jared Smith wrote:
> Components of Asterisk Configuration
>   The Asterisk Directory Structure
>   Editing .conf files
>      ??? Maybe explain modules.conf, so that newbies understand
>          why modules.conf is so important?
>   Getting started with a DevKit Lite ((one FXS, one FXO - Maybe a diff
> title?))
>      Zaptel and zaptel.conf ((GS/LS/KS signalling... zttool... etc.))
>      Zapata.conf ((just the basics... an introduction to contexts))
>      Extensions.conf ((just enough to be dangerous))
>   Getting started with VoIP ((just the basics))
>      SIP - sip.conf
>      IAX - iax.conf

I think that extensions.conf is more important than the channel
definitions. You can gloss over the channels in the Dial commands, but I
think it will be important to have a solid knowledge of contexts. It
will make more sense when you start explaining about the channels and
VoIP user definitions when you are trying to put them in the appropriate
context. It allso eliminates the need to have a basic extensions.conf
file that you can't really explain other than this is how it makes a
phone ring.

While I admit that one or the other is just academic discussions until
you can combine a phone with a dialplan. Maybe the best part would be to
explain how to make a console call first since a new user is more likely
to have a sound card that functions enough to walk their way around an
extensions.conf file.

>   The Extensions.conf File
>      Contexts ((why to separate))
>      Includes ((how to reduce typing))
>      Macro's ((how to write them - Include with above?))
>      Variables ((extra data))
>      Call flow ((putting it together))
>      Special extensions (I,T,S)
>      More advanced applications calls ((Asterisk allows for a lot of
> different formats for calling apps))

It might be a good idea to pick Marks brain and see if the function
style is the preferred method for the future and stick to just that
method. Maybe a note about old methods, but all examples should fit to
the preferred method. It ties into my comment about consistent spelling
and capitalization. It should be fairly difficult to tell where
different authors start and stop other than maybe a few nuances in word
choice or sentence structure.

>   Asterisk Add-On Applications
>      Playback()
>      Record()
>      GotoIf()
>      Cut()
>      Authenticate()
>      VoiceMail2
>      ZapBarge()
>      ... etc
> Advanced Concepts: a.k.a. "The Cookbook"
>      Building IVR
>      Bringing in the DB
>      DISA
>      Music On Hold: The moh.conf File (already in Chap. 7?)
>      Voicemail: The voicemail.conf File
>      MeetMe: The meetme.conf File
>      Any number of other neat tricks to go along

Maybe this should be a separate chapter as it may tie in other conf
files that either are not described at this point or concepts to be
explained later. My opinion is that the cookbook section should be like
a gentle push into some advance concepts that should be mostly obvious
by having the basics down perfect.

> Configuring Channels
>   The PBX Side of Asterisk
>      Zaptel cards and config
>      Configurating Zapata
>      Channel Banks
>      PRI/Channelized Voice T1s
>      CAPI/ISDN
>      ... etc
>   The VoIP side of Asterisk
>      Configurating SIP
>      Configurating IAX
>      Configurating H323/OH323
>      ... etc
>   Sample Configurations (Working Sample Configurations)

While this might be helpful, but in a print form this is a lot of space
that is not much more than what the cookbook and a few pieces will be.
Not to mention there is a sample that comes with the asterisk source.
--
Steven Critchfield <critch@basesys.com>