[Asterisk-doc] "The Extensions.conf Cookbook" chapter

Jared Smith asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:04:27 -0700

I know it's probably bad form to reply to myself, but I'm still looking
for input on the layout for the chapter(s) on configuring
extensions.conf.

My questions are:
1) Is this outline acceptable?  If not, PLEASE reply with specifics,
such as "Foo needs to be explained before Bar".
2) Should the "cookbook" part of the chapter be split into it's own
chapter?  (I've split it off into it's own chapter in the outline below)
3) Is there anything really obvious that we're missing here?

Here's my latest revision of the outline

Components of Asterisk Configuration
  The Asterisk Directory Structure
  Editing .conf files
     ??? Maybe explain modules.conf, so that newbies understand
         why modules.conf is so important?
  Getting started with a DevKit Lite ((one FXS, one FXO - Maybe a diff
title?))
     Zaptel and zaptel.conf ((GS/LS/KS signalling... zttool... etc.))
     Zapata.conf ((just the basics... an introduction to contexts))
     Extensions.conf ((just enough to be dangerous))
  Getting started with VoIP ((just the basics))
     SIP - sip.conf
     IAX - iax.conf
  The Extensions.conf File
     Contexts ((why to separate))
     Includes ((how to reduce typing))
     Macro's ((how to write them - Include with above?))
     Variables ((extra data))
     Call flow ((putting it together))
     Special extensions (I,T,S)
     More advanced applications calls ((Asterisk allows for a lot of
different formats for calling apps))
  Asterisk Add-On Applications
     Playback()
     Record()
     GotoIf()
     Cut()
     Authenticate()
     VoiceMail2
     ZapBarge()
     ... etc
Advanced Concepts: a.k.a. "The Cookbook"
     Building IVR
     Bringing in the DB
     DISA
     Music On Hold: The moh.conf File (already in Chap. 7?)
     Voicemail: The voicemail.conf File
     MeetMe: The meetme.conf File
     Any number of other neat tricks to go along
Configuring Channels
  The PBX Side of Asterisk
     Zaptel cards and config
     Configurating Zapata
     Channel Banks
     PRI/Channelized Voice T1s
     CAPI/ISDN
     ... etc
  The VoIP side of Asterisk
     Configurating SIP
     Configurating IAX
     Configurating H323/OH323
     ... etc
  Sample Configurations (Working Sample Configurations)

Jared Smith