[asterisk-dev] Mailing List Future

asterisk at phreaknet.org asterisk at phreaknet.org
Tue Jan 2 07:55:43 CST 2024

On 1/2/2024 5:55 AM, Joshua C. Colp wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 6:41 AM Paul Kudla <paul at scom.ca
> <mailto:paul at scom.ca>> wrote:
>

>     Good morning
>
>     Note I am unable to confirm my new email on the group because the
>     email
>     is using a blocked server ??
>
>     mail19       01-02 05:35:51 {postfix.in <http://postfix.in>}
>      [63603] (1871410360) Jan 02
>     05:35:51 mail19 postfix/smtpd[63603]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
>
>     web01.groups.io <http://web01.groups.io>[66.175.222.12]: 454 4.7.1
>     Service unavailable; Client
>     host [66.175.222.12] blocked using
>
>     bl.spamcop.net <http://bl.spamcop.net>; Blocked - see
>     https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.175.222.12;
>
>     from=<confirmbounce+8107350+4201506166695547482 at groups.io
>     <mailto:confirmbounce%2B8107350%2B4201506166695547482 at groups.io>>
>     to=<paul at scom.ca <mailto:paul at scom.ca>> proto=ESMTP
>
>     helo=<mail01.groups.io <http://mail01.groups.io>>
>
>     I did get the signup and also set my password but am unable to
>     proceed.
>
>     SPAMCOP.NET <http://SPAMCOP.NET> is super flexible (ie will track
>     and update bad ip's on the
>     fly within 24 hours, so to land on this list means a server has been
>     very very bad.
>
>     let me know if i can help further.
>

> I don't think either of us can really help. Looking at groups.io
> <http://groups.io> posts this appears to happen sometimes, be it as a
> remaining result of a Yahoo migration that occurred in the past or
> from group admins adding email addresses for SpamCop spam traps in
> some capacity.
>
> InterLinked: You previously stated that most lists you've been on
> migrated to groups.io <http://groups.io>, has this been a problem for
> them and if so how did they approach it (if at all)?

I have to be on at least 2 or 3 dozen groups.io lists at this point and
I've not really seen this be much of a problem. It haven't seen it on
any of my lists with 100+ members or really heard about it on other
lists. Occasionally, maybe a couple times a year, there are *bounces*
and I know groups.io will auto unsubscribe users if it gets bounces to
comply with email subscription policies and what not. I don't have any
specific experience with SpamCop, that isn't a service I use on my mail
servers.

I think this is going to be inevitable to some extent with any hosted
mailing list. groups.io has a pool of IPs that they use but obviously
they are shared between lists. Digium has been self-hosting lists so it
hasn't had to worry about this in the past.

groups.io also has an online portal where you can register and manage
groups, but that probably entails receiving an email at some point so
you might run into the same issue there if you can't receive email.

Can you add the sender to your "safe senders" lists? IMO email services
that don't allow the spam rules to be overridden are fundamentally
flawed, but I realize you may not have control over that or be able to
switch services.

It probably doesn't hurt to get in touch with the guy that runs
groups.io, here: https://groups.io/helpcenter. I and others have reached
out before for things and he's helpful and responsive.