[asterisk-dev] chan_sip deprecation

asterisk at phreaknet.org asterisk at phreaknet.org
Sat Oct 29 11:45:43 CDT 2022

On 10/29/2022 12:40 PM, Michal Rybarik wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> chan_sip has been deprecated in Asterisk 17 and there is a plan to
> remove it in 21 (expected next year).
> https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-29567
>
> However, we still have many things depending on chan_sip, and its
> replacing with chan_pjsip needs significant amount of work and
> testing, depending on other parties too.

Are you using anything in chan_sip that actually can't be done in
chan_pjsip (specific features), or is this just your internal migration
process?

> I'm thinking how to continue using chan_sip in the next years, while
> keep using latest asterisk source (master branch).

I think you answered your own question. You can patch chan_sip back into
Asterisk during the install process, after it is officially removed. The
simplest way would be take the patches that remove them and run them in
reverse. Lots of people have been doing this for the removed DAHDI
drivers, for example.

NA