[asterisk-dev] chan_sip deprecation

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Sat Oct 29 13:31:51 CDT 2022

On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 1:40 PM Michal Rybarik <michal at rybarik.sk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> chan_sip has been deprecated in Asterisk 17 and there is a plan to remove
> it in 21 (expected next year).
> https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-29567
>
> However, we still have many things depending on chan_sip, and its
> replacing with chan_pjsip needs significant amount of work and testing,
> depending on other parties too. I'm thinking how to continue using chan_sip
> in the next years, while keep using latest asterisk source (master branch).
>
> Would it be possible to postpone the removal from Asterisk by several
> versions?

No. The chan_sip module has been deprecated since 17. It's been years. This
is not being postponed.

> Or to move chan_sip to a separate repository and let it exist there - like
> libpri, libss7, dahdi, etc?

This is not something the project will do. You are free to do it yourself,
or bring it back in using some other mechanism such as what was mentioned
by the other responder.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Project Lead