[asterisk-dev] Module Deprecation, Default Not Building, and Removal

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Thu Oct 1 09:54:51 CDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 11:49 AM Seán C McCord <ulexus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu Oct 1, 2020 at 10:34 AM EDT, Joshua C. Colp wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 11:32 AM Seán C McCord <ulexus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I, too, am in favour of this formalization.  My only comment is that it
> > > seems to me that default-enabled being turned off would seem to come
> before
> > > deprecation.  I can see the other side, though.
> > >

> > I pondered that once, but I think to the user base it would be too much
> > of a drastic change. I think of it as a gradual nudging essentially.
> > Changing to deprecated and notes being informational for planning,
> default
> > enabled being an interrupt to actually do something. Of course there
> will still
> > be individuals who don't see this stuff - but one can only do so much.
>
> I can understand that, but I also look at it from the packager's
> perspective:  for the most generic appeal, I would generally want to enable
> everything which wasn't either experimental or deprecated.  The
> default-enabled status would not be of interest.  If packagers followed
> that way of thinking, you would, in fact, be _causing_ a more abrupt
> change.  By switching this around, you would not impact lazy users who do
> not compile their own Asterisk at first, but would gain the attention (one
> hopes) of those who are ever so slightly more advanced.  This bifurcates
> the impact to affect the more advanced users first, rather than the other
> way around.

Jared is a packager and would have insight into this. I don't have
experience in that regard. My experience is purely from the user base we
directly support, which mostly build from source themselves. I can say from
that perspective that starting with default enabled to no would be a huge
impact and there would be backlash if no prior notice was given.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead