[asterisk-dev] Module Deprecation, Default Not Building, and Removal

Dan Jenkins dan at nimblea.pe
Thu Oct 1 11:15:22 CDT 2020

Firstly, thank you Josh for trying to outline the process so that it's
something that can be followed and while I agree mostly with the steps...
the fact that its going to take 4 years for a module to be moved from
"deprecated" to being removed just feels too long but understandable if
we're talking about "this module has GONE from the source code"....

I'm not really sure if my thought process here is tainted by the chan_sip
process that seems to have gone on for an eternity already.

I personally don't see a problem with deprecating a module in non LTS and
removing it from being default enabled in the LTS - the code is still
there, and can still be enabled and packagers could still enable it. I
don't know what choices packagers make as to what gets built and what
doesn't as I don't use packages - each install f Asterisk has different
needs and so I always end up building from source. And then we could remove
it in the next standard release cutting the time by half.

Would the above be ok if there was a "simple" way to say bring in external
modules at build time? IE movethe deprecated module to a separate repo, and
have the option to be able to bring it in dynamically during build "at your
own risk" - just like what happens with pjproject, codecs etc....

Or is that not really achieving the goal because there would still need to
be some sort of maintenance for these deprecated modules.....

I don't know... but essentially 4 years feels like forever and LTS and
Standard releases exist for a reason - I don't see why we need two LTS
releases before somethings removed.