[asterisk-dev] Memory leak since Asterisk 16.5.x / pjsip

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Mon Sep 16 06:07:58 CDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 12:39 PM Andreas Wehrmann <a.wehrmann at yandex.com> wrote:

> >> BTW: I'm not really happy with the fact, that an existing LTS / stable
> >> version gets a new pjsip version "on the fly". From my point of view,
> >> this should have been done
> >> during a normal development cycle and not during a stable phase.
> > Since support for bundled PJSIP we've actively tried to keep up to date, so that we don't end up managing a fork and backporting a lot of patches. This has worked well for us and we haven't seen any problems - in fact we've gained some stability at times. If this is a problem in PJSIP this would be the first time we've encountered a regression. If people feel that we should instead lock versions then this is certainly something we can discuss. What do others think?
> >
> Hi,
>
> I think staying up to date with the latest version is better than
> locking in on some version mainly for the reason of manageability and risk.
> Upgrading from an 'older' release (skipping a few releases) involves a
> greater risk than updating to the next minor immediately
> because less changes need to be checked and integrated. The risk of
> breaking something "not obvious" is simply smaller.

Yeah, we've tried things like that both ways.  If you stay on old
versions of PJSIP, you end up with old bugs that never get fixed
(including security vulnerabilities in the SIP stack).  I think we've
leaned towards keeping it up to date being better (as you get bug
fixes in the SIP stack) than trying to own an old version of the code
that very infrequently gets updated.  We have no interest as a
development team to maintain a long running fork of the PJSIP stack -
we tried playing that game for a long time and it was problematic.

There are positives and negatives to both approaches, but the last few
years we've been taking the "keep it up to date approach" instead.

Matthew Fredrickson

> Best regards,
> Andreas
>

> --

Matthew Fredrickson
Digium - A Sangoma Company | Director of Open Source Software Development