[asterisk-dev] Memory leak since Asterisk 16.5.x / pjsip

Michael Maier m1278468 at mailbox.org
Mon Sep 16 12:06:58 CDT 2019

On 15.09.19 at 21:19 Joshua C. Colp wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019, at 2:21 AM, Michael Maier wrote:

>> BTW: I'm not really happy with the fact, that an existing LTS / stable version gets a new pjsip version "on the fly". From my point of view, this should have been
>> done during a normal development cycle and not during a stable phase.
>
> Since support for bundled PJSIP we've actively tried to keep up to date, so that we don't end up managing a fork and backporting a lot of patches. This has worked well
> for us and we haven't seen any problems - in fact we've gained some stability at times.

Chance - there's always a first time :-)
BTW: I like the bundling of pjsip!

> If this is a problem in PJSIP this would be the first time we've encountered a
> regression. If people feel that we should instead lock versions then this is certainly something we can discuss. What do others think?

>From a developers perspective, it's for sure better to do it as you do it like now. From a users / customers perspective, it's most probably the other way round. I don't
want to have any deep changes during a LTS version (that's exactly why I'm using LTS versions). The new pjsip release should have been put to a new asterisk release, too.
Asterisk 16.x was thoroughly tested and released on base of pjsip 4.8. Anybody who wants new pjsip 4.9 should consider using new Asterisk version, too.

At least, I would expect a severe distinction by using a dedicated minor version (without any own asterisk changes) to detect more easily potential pjsip regressions.

Thanks
Michael