[asterisk-dev] Monitor vs. MixMonitor questions

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Thu Nov 7 09:23:30 CST 2019

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM Steve Davies <davies147 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So I've chosen to post this in -dev in case someone manages to come up
> with a pointer to an existing patch, because if not I imagine I will do the
> work and submit it myself. Advice, corrections and opinions are most
> welcome.
>
> I noticed that 'res_monitor' is flagged as deprecated on the basis that
> 'app_mixmonitor' supports all the same features, and this led me down a
> rat-hole which I hope to dig my way out of...
>
> - I need to record in- and out- channels separately so I can mix to a
> stereo file (YES)
> - I need to pause and un-pause (NO)
>   - Solution: do a stop and start/append instead (YES)
>   - I only want to mix at the very end of the bridge/call (NO)
> - The automon feature should also be deprecated or merged with automixmon
> (?)
>
> I believe that the simplest solution to all of the above it to add a
> pause/unpause feature to app_mixmonitor, and extend 'struct
> ast_mixmonitor_methods' to allow broad support for an optional pause and
> unpause operation. This would then be implemented by simply pausing whether
> or not we write to the relevant filehandles. The audiohook itself would
> continue until stopped.
>
> Perhaps there is good reason why this has not been done before? If so,
> please let me know before I go too far :)

I'm not aware of any real reasons why it hasn't been done, except noone
taking the time to do so or running into that functionality or getting
around it in a different way.

I think deprecating automon is fine, although we don't really have a good
ability to deprecate such things except to state it. They don't have
support levels and other things like modules.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Digium - A Sangoma Company | Senior Software Developer