[asterisk-dev] Monitor vs. MixMonitor questions

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 09:13:40 CST 2019

Hi,

So I've chosen to post this in -dev in case someone manages to come up with
a pointer to an existing patch, because if not I imagine I will do the work
and submit it myself. Advice, corrections and opinions are most welcome.

I noticed that 'res_monitor' is flagged as deprecated on the basis that
'app_mixmonitor' supports all the same features, and this led me down a
rat-hole which I hope to dig my way out of...

- I need to record in- and out- channels separately so I can mix to a
stereo file (YES)
- I need to pause and un-pause (NO)
  - Solution: do a stop and start/append instead (YES)
  - I only want to mix at the very end of the bridge/call (NO)
- The automon feature should also be deprecated or merged with automixmon
(?)

I believe that the simplest solution to all of the above it to add a
pause/unpause feature to app_mixmonitor, and extend 'struct
ast_mixmonitor_methods' to allow broad support for an optional pause and
unpause operation. This would then be implemented by simply pausing whether
or not we write to the relevant filehandles. The audiohook itself would
continue until stopped.

Perhaps there is good reason why this has not been done before? If so,
please let me know before I go too far :)

Thanks,
Steve