[asterisk-dev] Monitor vs. MixMonitor questions

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 11:27:45 CST 2019

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 15:24, Joshua C. Colp <jcolp at sangoma.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM Steve Davies <davies147 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So I've chosen to post this in -dev in case someone manages to come up
>> with a pointer to an existing patch, because if not I imagine I will do the
>> work and submit it myself. Advice, corrections and opinions are most
>> welcome.
>>
>> I noticed that 'res_monitor' is flagged as deprecated on the basis that
>> 'app_mixmonitor' supports all the same features, and this led me down a
>> rat-hole which I hope to dig my way out of...
>>
>> - I need to record in- and out- channels separately so I can mix to a
>> stereo file (YES)
>> - I need to pause and un-pause (NO)
>>   - Solution: do a stop and start/append instead (YES)
>>   - I only want to mix at the very end of the bridge/call (NO)
>> - The automon feature should also be deprecated or merged with automixmon
>> (?)
>>
>> I believe that the simplest solution to all of the above it to add a
>> pause/unpause feature to app_mixmonitor, and extend 'struct
>> ast_mixmonitor_methods' to allow broad support for an optional pause and
>> unpause operation. This would then be implemented by simply pausing whether
>> or not we write to the relevant filehandles. The audiohook itself would
>> continue until stopped.
>>
>> Perhaps there is good reason why this has not been done before? If so,
>> please let me know before I go too far :)
>>

> I'm not aware of any real reasons why it hasn't been done, except noone
> taking the time to do so or running into that functionality or getting
> around it in a different way.
>
> I think deprecating automon is fine, although we don't really have a good
> ability to deprecate such things except to state it. They don't have
> support levels and other things like modules.

Thanks for the rapid feedback - I think I'll leave the automon vs
automixmon deprecation alone for now then :) I'm guessing that res_monitor
is not going to be removed any time soon based on your comments.

I will on the other hand have a crack at Pause/Unpause since when googling
it the question has been asked quite a few times.

Regards,
Steve