[asterisk-dev] One sip stack to rule them all....

Seán C. McCord ulexus at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 14:00:23 CDT 2017

As James mentioned at the top, chan_sip is already de facto deprecated.
 The discussion (at devcon) was centered around making it _officially_
deprecated.

For clarity, deprecation is NOT the same thing as removal.  (It is also not
depreciation, the reduction in value of something.)  Deprecation is the
declaration that something is not approved.  Using chan_sip has not been
recommended for a long time.

It _is_ important to officially deprecate chan_sip because it is really
isn't being maintained as it would otherwise need to be.  There is no
reasonable way _to_ maintain it.   Users should _know_ of that status, and
that status is highly unlikely to change.

What is _also_ needed, however, is more use of PJSIP and reports of
specific problems, and specific deficits of PJSIP so that the fear can be
eased before, at some point many years from now, chan_sip just doesn't work
any more.

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 12:56 PM Troy Bowman <troy at lump.net> wrote:

> I sincerely hope they don't deprecate it.  The pjsip code might seem fine
> in development and test environments, but I am still afraid of using it in
> production.  I see too many issues with it regularly on this list.  I can't
> gamble stability versus my job security.
>
> From my perspective, chan_sip doesn't get bugfixes because it doesn't seem
> to need them.  It just works.  I have had zero issues with it for several
> years.
>

> On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 8:55 AM, James Finstrom <jfinstrom at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One does not simply depricate a sip stack.
>>
>> Ok so at devcon there was a discussion of depricating chan_sip. This may
>> sound a lot worse than it actually is. Chan_sip has been essentially
>> untouched in 4ish years. It does not receive bug fixes. It is just sort of
>> a barge floating in the ocean.
>>
>> So one of the things that is needed to finally put Chan sip to bed is
>> feature parody.  Someone brought up CCSS.
>>
>> What features do you feel you would lose going from chan_sip to pjsip.
>>
>> Are there any bugs in pjsip that keep you from migrating?
>>
>> --
>>

> --

Seán C McCord
CyCore Systems, Inc