[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Testsuite: Moving to Git

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Mar 23 17:20:24 CDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone:
>
> First: no, this e-mail is not a joke. It's actually going to happen.
>
> Over the past few months, we've been quietly working on getting
> infrastructure spun up to support git for the Asterisk project. While
> that is still coming along, we're at a point where I think we can
> reasonably say that we're (nearly) ready to pull the trigger.
>
> As a result, if you have any testsuite tests that are currently up for
> review on Review Board, please work to get those closed out early next
> week. If you need reviews, by all means ask for a review either on the
> mailing list or in #asterisk-dev, and we'll help you get the reviews
> closed out and/or merged.
>
> I fully expect this to be a bit of a bumpy process (hence why we're
> starting with the testsuite), so please be patient as we move things
> around and get things cleaned up. This includes documentation on using
> git, gerrit, and the other tools that are being worked on.
>
> More information about said infrastructure will be documented and
> e-mailed out on this mailing list next week.
>
> Happy weekend everyone!

So, as it turns out, I got quite a bit done this weekend.

First, a new Gerrit server is live at https://gerrit.asterisk.org. If
you don't remember, Gerrit is where we ended up in our last discussion
of "what should our infrastructure be" [1] (thanks again to everyone
who participated, and Paul who set up a test instance). After a bit
more tweaking this weekend, the server is tied into the existing
Atlassian infrastructure, including JIRA and Crowd. This means we have
SSO using Crowd as an OpenID provider. Instructions for signing in,
setting up your account, and using Gerrit are up on the Asterisk wiki
[2].

Second, I went ahead and migrated repotools [3] over to Git [4]. The
SVN repo is now 'read-only', and while the repotools haven't yet been
converted over to Git (and a lot of them are really just obsolete as a
result of this migration), they can be updated and/or replaced as
needed in the Git repository.

Third, while I'm still working on building a full Git repo of the
Asterisk project (there's a lot of history/branches in there), the
Testsuite is much shorter and has come along nicely. Which means we're
kind of ready to just punt this thing over to Git. There are a few
Testsuite reviews outstanding which would be nice to get done.
However, if a particular review looks like it might take a bit, "svn
diff --git" exists, and it shouldn't be too hard for anyone with a
Testsuite test currently on Review Board to take the diff and resubmit
it for review on Gerrit.

So!

(1) Does anyone need a Testsuite test reviewed? If so, please comment
here or in #asterisk-dev so we can get it wrapped up.
(2) Please do log into Gerrit and make sure you can create an account.
Note that to log in, you *must* have signed a Contributor License
Agreement - this helps to keep anyone who hasn't from pushing code up
into the Asterisk project (and will hopefully simplify the process to
submit a patch, as you can't submit a patch without having signed a
CLA).

Barring any major objection, I will move the Testsuite over to Git
tomorrow evening, so that we are live on Wednesday.

[1] http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2014-September/070303.html
[2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Gerrit+Usage
[3] http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/repotools
[4] https://gerrit.asterisk.org/#/admin/projects/repotools