[asterisk-dev] Git Migration

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Sep 16 14:48:55 CDT 2014

"And there was much rejoicing"

But seriously, we all know that a lot of people have wanted to move to Git
for some time. For the record, everyone at Digium has wanted to move the
project to Git for some time. I swore to myself that we wouldn't do another
Standard release on Subversion - after we spent at least six weeks mucking
around with merge conflicts during Asterisk 12 - and with Asterisk 14
looming ever closer, the time is now to start getting something done on
this.

So!

To that end, a page on the wiki has been made with some initial thoughts:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Git+Migration

To summarize:
 * A comparison of management platforms has been done. Barring a giant
catastrophe or some insane limitation, we're going to go simple here and
stick with gitolite. Reasoning is on the wiki page.
 * The first thing to migrate is _not_ the Asterisk project, but the
Asterisk Test Suite. That will allow us (or force us) to deal with some of
the tooling and process issues, which will make it easier to tackle
Asterisk.

I'm sure there are a lot of opinions about all of this, and if you have
thoughts on technical or process hurdles we may be running into, I'd love
to hear it. Just remember that like many other things in life and
development, there's a lot of ways to manage your source code. You may
really, really, _REALLY_ like the way Project X does it, and you may think
that the way we are proposing it is clearly inferior. That's great, you may
be right. But in the interest of this not dragging on for another 5 years,
I'd like to keep any discussions focussed on getting things done while not
shooting ourselves in our virtual feet.

I'm expecting us to start this work in the next week or two. If you're a
user of the Asterisk Test Suite, please be patient as things get moved
around - we'll keep everyone up to date as things happen.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager