[asterisk-dev] DNS Support in Asterisk

George Joseph george.joseph at fairview5.com
Mon Feb 9 13:25:13 CST 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:

> Mark Michelson wrote:
>
>> Your opinions pretty much mimic mine.
>>

> Yay.
>
>  1) Don't write a DNS library. It's been done many times before by
>> others, so just use those.
>> 2) Don't jostle things where it is unnecessary.

+1000

>> As far as implementation details, it's far too early to be criticizing
>> those, so I just barely skimmed to make sure they made some amount of
>> sense. I imagine as things get more nitty-gritty, you'll come up with a
>> more detailed plan with structures, API calls, etc.
>>
>> With regards to the two third-party libraries you presented, my initial
>> impression is that I like c-ares better. Honestly, I find the on-site
>> documentation for both libraries to be pretty bad, but c-ares is the
>> better of the two. I also like that c-ares has functions for parsing
>> different DNS record types. I also like that c-ares is hosted on github.
>> Other things that would influence me on this decision:

+1 for c-ares.  Unbound still uses SVN. :)

If both of those libraries provide all the functionality required, great.
If they'll need contributions, then maybe pjproject should be considered as
a DNS provider candidate, separate from the chan_pjsip stack.  If
enhancements will be needed, it might be better to make them in a project
we already have a relationship with.

> <snip>
>
> Agreed. I'd also add Package Availability to your list.

Unless it's going to be bundled with Asterisk, package availability is a
must.  Fortunately, both are available as packages, at least for RedHat
based distros.

One config feature we'd need is the ability to force either ipv4-only or
ipv6-only as well as 6 first, then 4.