[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] 3972: Change DAHDI_UDEV_HOOK_DIR to honor --prefix

Oron Peled oron.peled at xorcom.com
Thu Sep 4 15:59:39 CDT 2014

On Thursday 04 September 2014 11:07:33 David M. Lee wrote:
> I don’t have DAHDI support enabled; the Makefile installs it
> regardless. I’ll update the patch to only install the script if DAHDI
> support is enabled, then.

+1

> I have to say that it seems like a bad behavior to install anything
> outside of the --prefix specified into configure.

But that's the *correct* behavior whenever package "A" install hooks into
package "B". The prefix of "A" has nothing to do with the location
of hooks provided by "B".

E.g:
 * /etc/modprobe.d
 * /etc/xinetd.d
 * /etc/logrotate.d
 * /etc/bash_completion.d
 * /etc/cron.d
 * /etc/pam.d
 * ...

So if your --prefix happen to be "/usr/local" and you would install
stuff into /usr/local/etc/pam.d the result would be... nothing...

> That’s certainly something I wouldn’t expect.

The specific file *IS NOT* an Asterisk file -- it's a script *for DAHDI*
which happen to be provided by Asterisk.

> But I can deal with it :-)

Sure:
 * If you don't build "--with-dahdi" and we fix the Makefile, nothing
   will be installed.
 * If you do build "--with-dahdi" it will be installed at the correct location
   (not under the "--prefix" of Asterisk).

Bye,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron