[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] 3343: res_pjsip: Enable DNS support.

Sean Bright sean.bright at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:13:25 CDT 2014

On 3/13/2014 4:42 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> +1 with Dan.  Comments aside on DNS functionality (I have opinions but
> sitting this one out). Any functionality should be channel agnostic.
> I too am a little concern'd that statement seems to have changed.

In order to make this "channel agnostic" you have three (equally bad)

 1. Replace Asterisk's internal DNS facilities with PJLIB's, creating a
    mandatory dependency on PJSIP.
 2. Roll a shiny new DNS API into Asterisk that supports all address
    types (multiple results, weighting, etc.).  Bear in mind that PJSIP
    would not use this new API at all, you would still need to create a
    PJLIB DNS resolver and feed it the nameservers to use.
 3. Use PJLIB's DNS interface if it is available, otherwise fall back to
    Asterisk's current DNS interface.  This means that you are now
    maintaining two separate interfaces and have to throw a layer of
    abstraction in while you're at it.  In fact, by adding an
    abstraction layer you would force res_pjsip to then unwrap and then
    re-wrap the abstraction just to get at the necessary PJLIB data
    structures.

Frankly, I don't see what all the hubbub is about.  99.9% of users will
never touch the nameservers configuration option and it will behave
exactly as if the system resolver was being used.