[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] 3343: res_pjsip: Enable DNS support.

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Thu Mar 13 15:42:22 CDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Dan Austin <Dan_Austin at phoenix.com> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
> Not including this change does not seem to buy us anything, save for some
> semblance of architectural purity. While I would love for there to be only
> one way to perform DNS resolution, that feels like a long term goal - and
> sacrificing the practicality of delivering a feature that a large number of
> Asterisk users have wanted for an extremely long time doesn't feel worth it
> to me.
>

> I am indifferent to PJSIP and have no intent to use it any time soon, so my
> critic is not of
>
> that channel driver.  In times not so long past if a developer offered a new
> feature for one
>
> of the second-class channels or apps they stood a good chance being told to
> rewrite it to
>
> be channel agnostic,  that it should (had to) be coded in such a way that
> all channels would
>
> benefit.  It is kind of amusing to see that turned around to not apply to
> the new kid on the block.

+1 with Dan.  Comments aside on DNS functionality (I have opinions but
sitting this one out). Any functionality should be channel agnostic.
I too am a little concern'd that statement seems to have changed.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)